Hello today we’ll talk about another common problem that I see in clinic – Iron deficiency. Though many people have a general idea about it, it is important to know all the details.
Iron is one of the most important nutrient required in our body. It is helpful for the proper functioning of our body.
Signs of Iron deficiency – The signs of iron deficiency are very vague, so a person doesn’t come to know that they are suffering. They don’t see the doctor, and the person keeps having troubles. The list will help you know the symptoms better.
- Easy tiredness
- Hair fall
- Dry skin
- Short height
- Less flow of periods
- Delayed periods
- Fast heartbeats (palpitations)
- Pale skin
- Calf pains/ leg pain
- Recurrent infections
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Brittle nails
- Mouth ulcers
Who can have iron deficiency? – It is important to know who all can have these symptoms. Iron deficiency is actually very common in India. And most of the Indian females are supposed to be deficient.
- All growing children
- Pregnant women
- Old age
- Poor people, lack of proper food
- Children not eating proper food
- Adults skipping meals, eating one meal outside
- Women having heavy flow of menses
- Person suffering from piles/fissure
- Someone who has met with an accident recently.
- Someone who underwent any surgery.
- People who try to lose weight or have lost weight by dieting.
Complications that can happen if you don’t correct the iron deficiency.
- Difficulty in conceiving
- IUGR – small fetus, or spontaneous abortion
- Fast heart beasts can cause heart damage
- Stunted growth of children
If a person has symptoms because of iron deficiency, then they have to take iron supplements. Iron can be given in the form of tablets, syrup, injections.
Please complete the full course of Iron supplement as advised by your doctor. I have seen many patients do not complete the course, or try to eat iron rich food.
Iron rich food –
- Spinach, Brocolli,
- Nuts – almond, pista, walnut.
- Dry fruits – dates, anjeer, black currant (raisins)
- Beet root
- Pumpkin seeds
- Pulses – moong, rajma, tur etc.
You may also like to read –
Dr. Hitesh P. Fariya
Homeopathy. Diet. Counselling
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.